The largest sporting event in the world kicks off this weekend, as football - that's soccer for the Americans among us - teams representing countries from around the globe meet in South Africa for the World Cup. Nelson Mandela wasn't available to put together a playlist, so we got someone much funnier and who probably knows a bit more about football as well. Dave Lifton, whom we know as an hilariously brilliant music columnist and podcaster for our friends over at Popdose.com, was kind enough to put this together to help us celebrate the opening of the tournament. Each song is by a Rock and Roll Football Fanatic, with the team they support listed here in the summary. Good luck to all, and enjoy the games!
Check out Dave's coverage of the World Cup on Popdose, and learn how to join a Fantasy League he created, here:
1) Elvis Costello (Liverpool)
2) Elton John (Watford – also used to own it)
3) Rod Stewart (Celtic)
"You're Celtic, United, but baby I've decided you're the best team I've ever seen."
4) The Who (Roger Daltrey is an Arsenal fan)
5) The Clash (Joe Strummer was a Chelsea fan, Mick Jones likes Queens Park Rangers)
6) Black Sabbath (Aston Villa)
7) Sting (Newcastle United)
8) Eric Clapton (West Bromwich Albion – WBA scarf was seen on cover of Backless)
note: "You'll Never Walk Alone" is the anthem of Liverpool Football Club
9) ELO (Birmingham)
10) Squeeze (Glenn Tilbrook is a Charlton Athletic fan)
Lyric "Makes for something special in your football shirt"
11) Slade (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
12) Meat Loaf (Hartlepool United – seriously, I triple-checked it)